Fire at Achimota

The one day I decide not to step out with my DSLR I chance upon a very DSLR-worthy moment. And I know this for a fact because I bumped into Emmanuel Bobbie (Bob Pixel) who had his camera and who’s footage was eventually used by the publication I used to work for. Darn it!

Either way, a fire had started at a mattress store next to a petrol filling station and the locals were so scared that it would spread and cause an explosion – wiping out half of Achimota in the process – that they began hurling pure water sachets at the fire. Given the number of bags on the floor outside the store I would say they used between 2000-3000 bags of pure water and given that each bag sachet is 20 pesewas retail price, the locals wasted about 400-600 cedis that they really dont have, to fight the fire.

The fire service eventually turned up and the people began hurling pure water sachets at them for their tardiness. 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Fire at Achimota

    1. yeh, to be honest it was a great showing of community spirit as well. i guess because people dont feel like they can rely on the emergency services they banded together to do what they could.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s